- 1 1/4 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages yeast
- 1/4 cup melted butter/shortening or vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 200gm Cha Shao (from chinese BBQ shops)
- 2 shallots
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 4 tbsp water
- a dash of sesame oil
- Mix sugar and warm milk (around 110 deg F). Add in the yeast and stir a bit. Leave and set aside for 10 minutes until the mixture is bubbly and foamy.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour and salt. Add in melted butter, egg and yeast mixture. Knead until smooth around 10 minutes.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling.
- When the dough is ready, divide into 12 equal parts.
- Fill each portion of dough with 1-2 tbsp of filling.
- Cover and let rise again for 1 hour.
- On a 350 deg preheated oven, bake for 15 minutes.
- Combine Seasoning ingredients in a bowl. Mix well.
- Stir fry shallots and onions until cooked, transparent and tender. Around 3 minutes on high heat.
- Add seasoning ingredients to cooked cha shao. Cook for another 2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.