- 1 kg beef brisket, cut into large pieces
- 500g been tendon, cut into 1 – 1 1/2 inch length (Optional)
- 1 large daikon radish, peeled and cut into large wedges
- 5 slices ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 star anise
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups beef broth (or chicken stock)
- 2 tbsp Chu Hou paste
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar substitute
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bunch of Hong Kong Kai Lan vegetable
- 1 sprig of coriander (optional)
- Your choice of noodles
- Turn on the Instant Pot and put into “sauté” mode. Put the vegetable oil into the pot and sauté the ginger till fragrant.
- Add the beef brisket into the pot and brown the beef pieces on all sides. When browned, add the garlic and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the beef tendon and stir through.
- Place the star anise, peppercorns and bay leaf into a spice bag and put into the pot.
- Add the beef broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce, Chu Hou paste, Shaoxing wine, fish sauce, white pepper and sugar substitute.
- Cancel the sauté mode. Make sure the brisket and tendon pieces are all immersed in liquid. Close the pot and put the valve into sealed position. Put the Instant Pot on manual mode for 45 minutes. When done, you can do NPR for or 20 minutes.
- Put the daikon into the pot and close the pot again and pressure cook for another 10 minutes and NPR for another 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to boil. Blanch whole sprigs of Kai Lan for about 2 minutes, then remove and set aside. If you want you can toss with a dash of oyster sauce.
- Serve with rice or …
- Prepare the noodles according to instructions. In shallow bowls, plate the noodles, followed by the beef brisket and tendon and daikon on top. Put several pieces of Kai Lan on the side of the noodles and top with some coriander leaves. Serve hot.